Monday, September 28, 2009

Taking pictures ~ Wow, a different world when it comes to Etsy!

I have been a picture snapping fool since Lilly, my 9 year old was born. I ALWAYS have a camera in my purse and try to capture all the important moments in our crazy, hectic life. Well, when I started my etsy site I thought, big deal, snap, download and we're done... not so much!

I'm learning a lot from my friends and from various forums but to no avail. I don't think the pictures are horrible but compared to many other sites I visit they look like my kids took them. Hmmmm... that's a thought, maybe they should start taking them. :) Well, my conundrum now is many of the items listed are already with their new owner and I can't retake the pictures and I'm trying to increase my listings on etsy. What's a girl to do?

I don't have a very expensive camera, I'll admit and I can't afford to go out a buy one that's all fancy-dancy. So, I will keep on keeping on and hope someone falls in love with the piece despite the "drivers-license" picture. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm willing to give it a shot - pardon the pun!

1 comment:

  1. They can't be that bad if people are still buying your things. Mine are not very good either, but the more I take the better they get. Here's a few things I learned:

    Take the same picture from different angles,
    Use natural lighting as much as possible,
    Don't use a shiny fabric as your base,
    Black velvet hides a multitude of problems, such as shadows,
    Cropping and editing can make or break a photo. If you don't have photo editing software, Picasa, Photobucket, and Flickr all have them for free. Picasa is where your blogger photos are stored once you upload them.

    ReplyDelete